|This page is for individuals/organisations wishing to register with REPs|
Designed for those about to start a career in the exercise industry in New Zealand, and also those thinking about it.
Developed by the NZ Register of Exercise Professionals, in conjunction with the PT Council, and supported by FitnessNZ, this is a comprehensive guide that outlines many of the factors to think about when considering a career in as an exercise professional.
Click on the image on the right to view the guide online, or download a pdf version here (note: 31 pages, large 9MB file)
Registration with REPs
REPs offers registration to three different groups, which are explained in more detail below:
- Exercise Professionals
- Exercise Facilities
- Education Providers (providing training to exercise professionals)
If you are already registered with REPs, you can also log on to the "Trainer Login" at the top right of the main page (just click on the REPs logo at the top right to return to that page. This will give you access to additional pages on this web site.
1. Exercise Professionals
1st time Registrations: Exercise professionals that wish to register for the first time may do by downloading and completing the individual's form on the application forms page.
To download an application form please click here
Re-registration: For those looking to re-register for the 2012/13 year please click here.
International Portability of Qualification/s: Exercise professionals who have completed study in New Zealand, have not been registered with REPs New Zealand, and are moving overseas require this form to register with any of the ICREPs partners (eg, Australia, UK, South Africa).
To download an application for International Portability of qualification please click here
Re-registrations: Exercise professionals who had a valid registration during the 2011/12 registration year may choose to re-register online by following this link.
A personal touch: If you prefer to talk to a person, have any questions, or would simply like to have an application form posted to you, please feel free to call REPs on 0800-55-44-99 during office hours (9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday). Alternative contact methods can be found on our contact page.
2. Exercise Facilities
To download an application form please click here
Exercise facilities (such as gyms, fitness centres, health clubs, PT studios etc) that wish to register with REPs can do so by downloading and completing a facility registration form found on the application forms page.
Registration with REPs as a facility involves two key parts:
- Agreeing to only use the services of REPs Registered Exercise Professionals in any exercise roles.
- Agreeing to the industry code of ethics, as set by FitnessNZ. A copy of this code can be found here (this links to the FitnessNZ website). To sign up to this code, membership to FitnessNZ is required. This membership gives significant benefits to the facility, which is explained in more detail on the FitnessNZ website found here.
For more information on FitnessNZ - please call FitnessNZ directly on 0800-66-88-11 during office hours (9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday). Smaller facilities such as PT Studios have a special rate combining membership to FitnessNZ and registration with REPs - contact FitnessNZ for more details.
3. Education Providers
To download an application for Initial Education please click here
To complete an online application for a Continuing Professional Development Course (CPD) click here
Education providers that wish to register a course with REPs may do so by downloading and completing an application form found on the education providers page
Note that there are two different application forms for education providers:
- Initial training, which is for courses that take a person from unqualified to fully competent in a particular role (eg. group exercise or Personal Training).
- Ongoing education, which is for courses that provide ongoing training to individuals already qualified, through training such as seminars or workshops.
Details of education providers that are currently registered with REPs can be found on our recommended courses page. For an outline of the benefits of registering a course with REPs, please see the education providers section of the benefits page.
For more details for education provider registering with REPs, please see the education providers page.
For a complete list of all the REPs application forms please click here
Want more information?
If you would like to have more information on REPs, and how to register you may find these pages useful:
- Frequently Asked Questions page
- About the REPs Board (who oversee REPs)
- Different levels of registration for exercise professionals
- Information on re-registration requirements (CECs)
- More detail on registration and how it adds to a qualification
Alternatively, you may prefer to talk to a person about REPs. You can contact REPs during office hours Monday-Friday on 0800-55-44-99, or find more ways of contacting REPs on our contact page.